How Much Does It Cost to Paint Kitchen Cabinets?
The exact cost to paint kitchen cabinets varies from home to home. There are several factors that affect the cost; the paint you choose and the size of your kitchen are the two determining factors. However, there are some estimates that will give you a good idea of the actual cost.
Average cost to do it yourself
- Statistics show that the average cost to paint your cabinets is between $.3.00 and $10.00 per square foot.
- Measure your cabinets to determine how many square feet you have times the above amounts to determine your cost.
- This MSRP includes paint, tools, and the supplies needed to complete the job.
- Save money by shopping for paint, primer, and supplies when they are on sale.
- Check for sales on paint and supplies near Memorial Day and Fourth of July.
- Check the mistake table at your local home improvement store. Paint that is not the color that the customer thought it was when they ordered is put on these tables.
Prices vary greatly from one professional painter to another.
- Some charge by the door and drawer. Typical pricing is $100 per door, and about $30.00 per drawer.
- Others charge by the cabinet at an average of $150 per cabinet.
- Still, others charge by the job with a flat rate for cabinet painting.
- Get estimates from two or three painters to help you determine the pricing for your particular job.
- It’s not usually a great idea to go with the lowest or the highest MSRP; choose someone in the mid-MSRP range.
- You can save money by searching painter’s websites for special offers and discounts.
- Make sure that you understand what is included in the quote that you get. Do you supply the paint or does the painter supply it? Is the painter taking off the doors, or do they expect you to do it? Ask questions and make sure you are satisfied with the answers before you sign the contract.
Big impact for a modest cost
Painting your cabinets provides a huge impact for a low MSRP, especially when you compare it to other kitchen remodeling jobs. A fresh coat of paint and new hardware changes the entire look and feel of the kitchen.
Many homeowners who decide to paint their cabinets themselves get the job done in one weekend. It’s not very difficult or strenuous; the hardest part is often taking off the doors and hardware.